September 18, 2006

Spring '07! Project Runway

I haven't commented on the Project Runway show yet, and that's because I didn't see the photos until tonight. See, I wanted to wait until I'd had a chance catch up on the TV show, which I haven't seen in a few weeks. So, tonight I downloaded the past three episodes on iTunes, clicked through the pics on NewYorkMag.com, and here's what I think.

We'll start with Jeffrey, because let's face it, I kinda have a crush on him. He's so cute and moody! Anyway, his collection was nice. Quite toned down. I'm wondering if they'll pull the same shit they did with Santino and bully him for doing exactly what they told him to do, i.e. bring it down a notch. We'll see.

Laura. So fucking chic it hurts. So recognizable, so sophistocated, so stunning.

Now, I feel like Michael has been a favorite to win almost from the casting special. His stuff on the show was really good. But this collection was a little too gaudy, a little too Versace, a little too J.Lo. It's fun, but I don't know. Not my fave.

There is nothing about Uli's collection that I didn't like. She's another one with very recognizable style. How does she make those patterns work? It's truely amazing. I'm going to just say it, I think this one's the winner.

I'm not surprised at all to see that these are the four who made it. I think the judges made some huge mistakes this season. Vincent should have been auf'd long before he actually was, and I think Milan and Alison should have been kept on longer than they were. Plus, I'd really like to have seen what else Keith could have done. So many of the challenges are more about making costumes than fashion. I think that's where some of the designers slip up and that's really a shame. With that in mind, I do think the final four deserve their spot at Fashion Week. It's tough to tell which is the decoy and which are the actual final three.

And while we're talking about Project Runway, check out Jay McCarroll's collection. I like that he did some menswear, though I think his personality gets lost a little. I like that his clothes have a sense of humour - clunky overalls, big buttons, huge accessories. Then you've got something like this ice blue and silver look, or the yellow and olive dress. They're totally cute, totally wearable, and still very Jay. Nice.

No comments: