July 14, 2006

Pfloto Session

I hate Ryan Pfluger because he's 22, gets paid to write a blog for Nerve, photographs for Paper and Rolling Stone, and knows just about anyone you'd ever need to know in New York nightlife. He hates me, he says, because I'm beautiful. We’re either going to be best friends or arch enemies.

I laugh and roll my eyes and then he tells me to look at the camera. I'm trying to take this seriously; I want Ryan to get some great images. More than that, I don’t want to look like a moron. But I’m starting to realize I’m way too self-conscious to be a model.

“What’s my hair doing? Are my eyes too squinty? Do I look like a total tool?”

Ryan has to move the mirror because I keep looking at it instead of at the camera.

“Did I mention I’m a little narcissistic?”

The shoot moves to my bedroom – I’m thrilled not to have to lean against the weird, textured wall in my office anymore – and Ryan asks me to take off my pants.

“Thank you for not wearing American Apparel underwear,” he says, sounding genuinely relieved. Ryan photographs cute skinny hipster boys, and they all wear the same American Apparel undies in a dazzling array of colors. I show him the two pairs – baby blue and electric pink – in my drawer.

Ryan tells me he’s read most of my blog and I’ve been reading his, so as we talk we keep telling each other things we already know. It’s kinda creepy. It’s not until later that it occurs to me how much he must know about my sexual history.

The photos are up on Ryan’s Nerve blog, the Prowl, the week of July 1-7.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't have a Nerve account, where else can we see your pictures???

John Russell said...

There's one on Ryan's website. But the Nerve membership is free, and Ryan's blog is a free feature. You won't be able to see much of the nudity, but the way he formated by pics you can actually see some of them.