October 22, 2005

Messages

Last night, after leaving Duvet, I left two messages for two different people.

The first was for Blue: “So, I just wanted to clarify: when I asked if you would like to do dinner sometime, I meant just you and me. Like, a date. If you’re interested, call me. If not, call me anyway, but pretend I never left this message.”

The second was for Ryland: “This is an official booty call. I would like to make out with you sometime this weekend. Call me.”

I wasn’t drunk, so I can’t even blame it on that. I was feeling reckless and bored and I needed to put a message in a bottle and throw it at someone’s window. I needed attention, I needed stimulation. Action, I feel, is always better than inaction. So rather than waiting around for them to make a move and trying to interpret signals that probably aren’t even there, I lit those little Molotov cocktails and pitched them right at the boys who, by all rights, should be vying for my attention. If I had known where either of them lived I might have been tempted to go banging on their doors.

This is the sort of bold, desperate behavior that I find incredibly romantic. The type of guy who goes out of his way and oversteps the bounds of rational, polite courtship is the type of guy for me. I want to live my life like in a romantic comedy, where intense emotions illicit extreme actions. Such benignly obsessive attempts at seduction should constitute pivotal moments in a person’s love life. Instead they’re just blips on the radar, and cringe worthy moments we try to forget or excuse with inebriation.

Of course, I haven’t heard from either Ryland or Blue. I’m sure they’re both freaked out or embarrassed for me or something and have chosen, predictably, to ignore the fact I ever called them. I’m erasing their numbers from my phone immediately.

4 comments:

Anhoni Patel said...

I think they're really cute msgs. I always prefer guys who are direct. It's rare. And therefore a turn on.

And you weren't being direct in a sleazy way but in a cute wearing-your-heart-on-your-sleeve kind of way. If they haven't responded they are either not interested (whatever, move on) or embarassed (read being stupid boys).

But...I wouldn't erase their #s just yet...

ziggystardust73 said...

I think feeling reckless and bored can cause more thrill than being drunk...

I say *yay* to you. Regardless of whether they respond or not.

t said...

OH MY GOD! I KNOW BLUE!

he's a cutie, isn't he? but homeboy doesn't drink...

Joe Killian said...

I think you may have turned a corner here, Johnny Boy.

I've always sort of wondered why you seem to be waiting for some guy to call you or wondering when he's going to make a move. It's like you're the girl in a 1960s sex comedy.

Be the guy in the 1960s sex comedy. Go get what you want. Whether or not it works you'll feel you were the active party, you put what you want out there.